Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Feminist Fascism

Well.

I've just been reading this article on guardianunlimited.co.uk. It's a very interesting article. I guess I've always been a feminist to one degree or another, and that mainly was in rebellion to my Dad's (and now my brother's) infuratingly traditionalist views. You'd think after experiencing racism which many BNP dudes believe is "tradition" they would be more progressive. Hell, homosexuality could be seen as tradition if you're gonna go all the way back to the Ancient world. Didn't that build all the building blocks, and all the fuck-upity-ness of this bruised earth? I digress. Give this article a read. Believe me, you may not agree with all of it, some of it will make you angry cos its so stupid and offensive to lesbians like myself, who chose to be lesbian because we find ourselves with that sex not to piss off men - it would be ironic if our sexual lives involved not touching men but having our subconscious be so full of them. (curious? read the link!!)

Like I said before, I've always been a bit of a feminist. But what does that mean these days? It's such a negative image you don't know if you'll be accepted. And when that thought crosses my mind I start to get worried. Her whole point is how men are keeping hold on their power and how women are letting themselves become lesser peoples through make-up and plastic surgery. Heroin chic is now Rape chic. I am now addicted to pink. But how do I know I'm being brainwashed? To me, pink is pretty colour and it matches my skin tone. I think its cute, and bold, and pretty. Its not a subconscious decision enforced by the tyranny of the media presented myself as an subordinate tool. Come and get me, boys! Oh, and it's 'spread' to lesbians as well. Why can't we enjoy wearing pink, or shaving our armpits not because we want to impress but because we don't want to stink as the hairs retain it.

And whats so bad about impressing the opposite/same sex? I don't want to be single all my life, I'm not a celibate person by choice. Maybe wearing pink is not just subordinate buggery, but its the doomed ditch in my genes as well! What the fuck? I just liked the skirt in Primark, a bargain at £10. It matched my shoes. It made me feel good about myself. I could walk down the street with pride in that pink skirt cos I feel I look good. I will also go out on the street in my jeans, or my tracksuit bottoms to fetch a glass of milk looking so rough I scare myself sometimes. I love female Y-fronts. I think butch girls are kind of hot, but so are femme girls. I would wear men's clothes if they look good on me, just like that old jacket I used to have. (my Man Jacket) That doesn't make me a housewife, or a female fascist who needs to hate something to explain things, it means I like pink and Man Jackets.

Get over it.

(Comments?)

2 comments:

CarpeDM said...

Liked the post. A little worried about the article.

Am I a feminist? I have no idea. I do believe that women and men should be treated equally but I don't think it happens. But it's not something that I'm going to get up in arms about.

I don't get her belief that we should have to become lesbians and if we're not, then we're conspiring with the enemies. But I like men. Do I think they're the enemy? Not really. I'm just not attracted to women. No big deal. Does that mean I'm a traitor to my gender? I don't think so.

You wear pink all you want. I bet it looks lovely on you. I love my pink high top Chuck Taylors. I like to wear pink. I am also quite fond of orange. Not necessarily at the same time.

But the fashion industry is getting weirder every day, I will agree with her on that.

Lioness said...

Are you all right, sweetie? Update when you can.