Thursday, February 03, 2005

Oxbridge Oragami

Well, today was my big Oxbridge Day. Well, an hour with other peeps in the college theatre, some coming in desperation, some stupidly confident and others with morbid curiousity of what it means to go to the top colleges. I went with all three points in mind, the cynicsm already etched into my brain.

Lots of people came and it was OK. The place was full of Geeks and TIPS (Tall Intelliengent Perfect Specimens) I knew quite a few people, milling round. Lotta women. I guess guys from my place don't bother with this sort of thing, how was I supposed to know? It started with two nicely spoken for old people, who had never seen so many people and didn't have enough sheets, but I was ready. I felt like a bit of a detective, seeing the sheet. So competitive, and no one had a clue. No one knew what they wanted, where they wanted, and how they wanted their brain roasted - one to one teaching or large self-important seminars? And fair play, I didn't know much either. Everything I've learnt about the bloody place has been from TIPS and the Self Important pricks - including PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics), the systematic furiousity of social dichotomy...
(Ok, I partially made that up, but I think that makes conversational sense)

It says you need at least 4 A*'s (I only have one! Noooo!!! Hehe), and a few more A's (well, I got six) you need personality, interest and the kind of background that isn't er, traditional university applicant fare (for once, I might endorse positive discrimination. I'm black, young, female and gay. If this was the 1950's, I would be totally fucked. Not that no one knew that.) so I gain points there. And the list of subjects is frankly, boring. It's all academic stuff, nothing knew apart from maybe Oriental Studies. They don't even have anything on Artificial intellgence or Creative writing which I think are pretty interesting. Very rigid too. People around me were in awe, horror and positive dismay. Some giggly people knew they didn't have a chance. I have a chance, but it's feeble and really, what is so great about Oxford or Cambridge? Really - apart from being the top colleges, and the poshest. There you go, the aristocratic types may go. If I want to get rich on someone else's tailcoats, I know exactly where to go. But I'm too independent, too lively, too outspoken for that. And, other colleges give better courses (Eg: York or London School of Economics. Kings College in London has a magnificent library.) or better choice than Oxford or Cambridge. So what's the big deal? I'll get a job? I might not, wherever I graduate from. I'm relying on work experience and speaking skills and leading people (I'm officially bossy. Darn) I have no idea. They're also talking about work shops and summer work. WHAT type of summer work? Think about it - if they aren't saying anything now, then by the time you're in too deep...

At least I'm eating again. We got food yesterday from Tesco in a fun shopping run with Dad. I went to my NRG group and it turns it out I was the only one there! How embarrassing. They're starting a website for young gay peeps. It should be really good. After all, I know these things. And I read slash. Oh, slash. I really should write some kind of "Definitive" guide to slash...

I'm doing a little better. Now, I have some loose ends to tie up...

No comments: