Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Bus Rides

At the moment, I'm taking the bus home instead of three trains because its cheaper for myself since its now taken out of my pocket money. It has its perks - its much easier to take a detour - with trains you could be stuck anywhere.

Anyways, on the way home I had plenty to think about: I needed to finish Memoirs of a Geisha once and for all (I bought the book from Oxfam) which I'm loving...I can't seem to read any fiction at the moment if it has nothing to do with Japan at the moment. As my bus drove past the roundabout I sa this house I've been admiring for a couple of weeks now. It quite big, almost square. What makes it stand out from other houses is the fact its been painted a mellow turquoise, with all of the wood painted white. It reminds me of the French quarter of New Orleans, although I've never actually been there. It's gorgeous! And from the back garden you make out a hint of a 'witchy' garden - like old limestone water fountains, and stringy plants that look like purple willows, with grass that wasn't so perfectly neat. But it was by a roundabout and within a moment it was gone with me left to fill out the rooms, and my massive kitchen...all in my head, of course.

At the back of the bus were these Ex-Cards (Ex Cardinal wiseman) who were talking about the good old days. I looked them straight in the eye and they just hit back with thousand-metre glare. I didn't feel too bad really - I'm way too used to not actually existing to make a big deal out of it. And they carried on about High School, the good ol' days where I never felt wanted, even from the people I knew loved me. But hey, it wasn't all bad...we had some kick-ass History teachers and without Wiseman, how would I ever know about religion, and where would I get the desire to try and change the world as I see fit?

And I then thought about the new college radio station coming up - right now in its baby steps, but as a minion of my mate, Richard who's leader of Drama section, we're getting some great ideas, but if successful the radio will start playing in September, I think. If so, then it will a selfish, a big contrast to last year when I was volunteering for everything. With so much to plan, and having to actually to cater for my needs, it does feel like its easier to do things with nothing expected in return than to actually try to help yourself. The idea may sound laughable, but doing things for others for nothing in return can be a lot of fun. You don't feel as if you're up on display, if you don't like that kind of thing and you always make friends with other like-minded people... and hey, isn't it the year of the volunteer? (www.yearofthevolunteer.org.uk)

Anyways, as I thought of all my busyness - two radio programmes to sort, my first frigging AS exam in two days, writing, and reading. I felt a lot more normal than I have in days, and just better, happier etc. I actually feel capable to save myself from all of the silliness I keep prophesizing about. So I felt a lot...well. Then guess what came on the radio...

David Bowie - Heroes

I
I will be king
And you
You will be queen
Though nothing will
Drive them away
We can beat them
Just for one day
We can be Heroes
Just for one day

And you
You can be mean
And I
I'll drink all the time
'Cause we're lovers
And that is a fact
Yes we're lovers
And that is that

Though nothing
Will keep us together
We could steal time
Just for one day
We can be Heroes
For ever and ever
What d'you say

This is my favourite Bowie song at the moment and it's beautiful I think. Especially when you're trying desperately to get over yourself...I do feel stronger today. xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to read you had an OK day! I thought I should comment something since I've read your blog writings for a little while now (found it through schnoogle.com and WH-reviews, believe me, I have no life). I think it's great how you can write about everything you feel and so on. Please forgive me my English, not a native speaker and my crappy comment. Just felt the need to say hello..

Serialangel said...

I'm glad you felt the need to say hello! *waves hi over cyberspace* your english is perfect and I envy your multi-linguistic skills...
I'm glad you read white horses, for it is a brilliant story and hardly anyone seems to realise that in the slashy ocean. Who are you on Schnoogle? I hardly ever talk to people from there. Very exciting...
Anyways, your comment has made my day and I hope you continue to comment...

And..other lovely readers like Metal angel who may be too shy to post...please do! It makes me happy, and you like me happy cos I leave praising, "selfless" comments like this!