Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Opinion

I was GYUK, as I was beginning in Little Liar Lost...there was a discussion about why lesbians have such bad self-image issues...so I chipped in. And I was stereotypically (liar) openly miserable. But Betty doesn't get miserable in public. Was that conventional or not?
Anyhoo, this was my answer:

Well, I'm miserable right now, so you can either ignore, or not.
It's a big, massive, thing-for want of a better word. So, lesbians and gay men and transgendered people are all a little fucked, usually more than more most people, because this all adds to the 'who are we?' debate. The most ignorant people are the happiest, but lesbians look into ourselves more, as the idea that romantic love, or lust might not be found in whoever we expect to be, will shake the foundations of our beings. So we have to figure ourselves out, and fast before we totally disappear.
So of course, its never finished. And you tend to find that when you figure out who you really are, its not something you want to see. Its not what you expect, in the least.
So what do we do? I dunno. I guess we're gonna have to bond together and be our own idols. The lesbian culture is only just starting to figure out itself, and we're softer than clay, meaning the media have a hoot moulding and destroying us. Instead of just looking up to lesbians, for now, why don't we look up to people who have faced adversity? We may have few and far between lesbian role models, but we have role models. And in-between that time, we can become our own role models for the next batch of confused, self-hating lesbians.



What do you think? Not that I care (such a conventional answer)...

No comments: